Little River School House


Little River School House photo of Little River School House
The original, one-room, log schoolhouse on this site opened in 1877 under the direction of Isaac and Lucy Berry. The multi-racial community known as Little River raised the present building in 1905. It was the local school and community center until 1935. The Berry family landscaped the property around the lake, including the beach, calling it Pleasant View. They sold it to Mecosta County for a park after Lucy Berry's death.
 
 
Isaac and Lucy Berry
Born into slavery, Isaac Berry (1831 - 1914) escaped from bondage in Missouri to freedom in Canada in 1858. There he married Lucy Millard (1838 - 1926)., a white woman he met while enslaved in Missouri. The Berrys moved to Morton Township in 1877 with other black and multi-racial families. They bought cutover land and Isaac served as the postmaster, blacksmith and school director. Lucy became the Little River Schools first teacher.

Registered Site L2242
Erected 2012

Location: 90th Ave. and 9 Mile Rd
Morton Twp, Mecosta County

Topics:
Black History
Early Settlers
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.598295002 W85.26501327
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.