First Presbyterian Church


First Presbyterian Church photo of First Presbyterian Church
The Reverend Hiram L. Miller and twelve others founded this church, the first in the Saginaw Valley, on March 1, 1838. They first worshipped at a carpentry shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Ames Street. The congregation erected a white clapboard church on this site in 1852, thee first permanent church building in the Valley. On November 10, 1883, the cornerstone for the present sanctuary, designed by local architect Fred W. Hollister, was dedicated November 22, 1885. There have been several additions and restorations since then. A 750 pound bell, a gift to the original church from area citizens, hangs in the present structure.
 

Registered Site L2229
Erected 2012

Location: 121 South Harrison Street
Saginaw, Saginaw County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.418766468 W83.96623134
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.