Idlewild Lot Owners Association


Idlewild Lot Owners Association photo of Idlewild Lot Owners Association
In 1920 Idlewild's founders, Wilber Lemon, Alvin Wright, and brothers Erastus and Adelbert Branch, joined William Jennings to form the Idlewild Lot Owners Association (ILOA). The ILOA was responsible for public improvements and maintenance of the resort, in addition to promoting fellowship and community pride. Sunday forums featured speakers like fellow resorter and author Charles Chestnutt. In 1934, the Womens Club of Idlewild merged with the ILOA where women often assumed leadership roles. The ILOA hosted fashion and variety shows as fundraisers for improvement projects. In 1954 the IOLA purchased this site and began developing youth programs. This building the Robert Riffe Youth Center, opened around 1962.
 

Registered Site L2206
Erected 2009

Location: Lake Drive and Glade Avenue
Idlewild, Lake County

Topics:
Black History


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.887485625 W85.77978014
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.