Methodist Episcopal Church


Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Methodist Episcopal Church
"Circuit riding" ministers brought Methodism to Williamston during the 1850s. The congregation organized in 1859 and built a small church on this site in 1871. The growing membership set about building a new church in 1896. The sanctuary of this church was dedicated on October 10, 1897. Lightning struck the steeple in 1919 and much later the bell tower was removed. In 1899 the church interior was restored.
 
 
Side 2
In July 1896, 101 farmers and teams of horses delivered 219 wagonloads of fieldstone to this site. The farmers participated in the "Great Stone Bee," a contest to gather and deliver "hard heads" with which to build this Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was designed by Detroit architect Wells D. Butterfield and built by C.C. Shafer of Howell. The Jackson Glass works made the stained glass windows.

Registered Site L2182
Erected 2006

Location: 101 South Putnam
Williamston, Ingham County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.688744684 W84.28286075
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.