Saint Clement Cemetery


Saint Clement Cemetery photo of Saint Clement Cemetery
St. Clement Catholic Church served as the center of community life for the Belgian, German, Polish, French, and Irish Catholics who settled at Kunrod's Corner during the mid-nineteenth century. This cemetery originated as the parish's burying ground, primarily church members are interred. The earliest known burial dates from March 27, 1854. More than 800 graves date from the nineteenth century. The inscriptions on the grave markers not only confirm Center Line's diverse ethnic origins, they reflect the names of some of Macomb County's earliest settlers and most notable families. Members of the Groesbeck and Schoenherr families are buried here, as is Joseph Buechel, who built the first general store, and Hieronymus Englemann, Center Line's first postmaster.
 

Registered Site L2174
Erected 2006

Location: Englemann Rd.
Center Line, Macomb County

Topics
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4809872 W83.0230057
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.