First United Methodist Church


First United Methodist Church photo of First United Methodist Church
The origins of the First United Methodist Church can be traced to 1831 when preacher Elijah Pilcher arrived in "Jacksonburgh" to serve the town's growing Methodist community. Services were held around town until a small church was erected in 1850. The congregation built a larger church at the present site in 1868. In 1922 Detroit architect W.E.N. Hunter designed the current Neo-Gothic structure around the 1868 church. A larger pipe organ and the Virginia and Katherine Hayes memorial window were installed at that time, donated by businessman C.B. Hayes. Prominent members also included W.A. Foote, co-founder of Consumers Power Company. The church was enlarged yet again in 1954.
 

Registered Site L2166
Erected 2006

Location: 275 West Michigan Ave.
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.247040938 W84.41082358
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.