Stoney Creek School


Stoney Creek School photo of Stoney Creek School
The School Act of 1829 created the Stoney Creek School District. Fractional School No. 1 was constructed in 1848. Like one-room schoolhouses across the country, the building originally housed children of varying ages and grades, elementary through high school. This changed in 1931, when high school students enrolled in nearby Rochester High School. Two prominent Michigan women are associated with this modest school. The influential surgeon, Bertha Van Hoosen attended school here, as did her niece, Sarah Van Hoosen Jones, an agricultural expert and author. In 1952 an addition was built on the school to accommodate a growing population of elementary students. Later that year the school closed permanently when the Stoney Creek Sschool District was annexed to that of Rochester.
 

Registered Site L2158
Erected 2005

Location: 1051 Washington Road
Rochester Hills, Oakland County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6968255 W83.1119236
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.