Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church


Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church photo of Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church
Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church was founded in 1854 when the growing First Presbyterian Church divided into three congregations. Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian built its first church at Jefferson and Rivard. U.S. Senator James McMillan; Congressman and Industrialist John Newberry; and William E. Quinby, owner of the Detroit Free Press, were among the prominent members. The congregation merged with one of its missions, Bethany Presbyterian, and built this Neo-Gothic church, completed in 1926. Wirt C. Rowland, of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, designed the church, which has a sanctuary with windows by the Willet Stained Glass Company of Philadelphia, and a parish house with a chapel dedicated to Horace M. Dodge.
 

Registered Site L2155
Erected 2006

Location: 8625 East Jefferson Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.355071358 W82.98975169
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.