St. Mary's Catholic Church


St. Mary's Catholic Church photo of St. Mary
St. Mary's Church began as a mission of the Catholic diocese of Grand Rapids. The first church was built around 1884. The parish grew to become a predominantly Polish congregation while under the pastorate of Father Casmir Skory (1892 - 1905). In 1893 Father Skory founded the St. Mary's School, which was served by the Dominican Sisters. Father Skory was instrumental in the planning and construction of this church in 1900.
 
 
Side 2
The Neo-Gothic St. Mary's Catholic Church has been a Gaylord landmark since it was dedicated on September 15, 1900. When the Diocese of Gaylord was established in 1972, the church became the cathedral. The diocese built a new cathedral in 1976 and closed St. Mary's. In 1985 a local group, fearing the building would be razed, purchased it for use as a performing arts center, which they named the Mount Carmel Centre.

Photo courtesy of Larry Mix.

Registered Site L2149
Erected 2005

Location: 147 N. Otsego St.
Gaylord, Otsego County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.029134276 W84.67723667
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.