Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland


Riverside Mortuary Chapel photo of Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland
This chapel, completed in 1913, embodies the dream of Cemetery Superintendent George Kies, the design of Clinton-born architect Wirt Rowland and the artistry of the mason, a "Mr. Uhr" of Manchester. It also reflects livestock dealer Solomon Tate's sense of color and design. Tate chcosse the stones, donated by local farmers. The Clinton Culture Club, later the Federated Women's Club, led the chapel building effort.
 
 
Wirt Rowland
Early in his long career in Detroit, Clinton native Wirt C. Rowland designed this chapel, which reflects medieval inspiration. Wirt Rowland (1878 - 1946) worked for George D. Mason, Albert Kahn, and other leading Detroit architects. He is best known for designing three Detroit skyscrapers, the Buhl Building, the Penobscot Building, and the Guardian Building during the 1920s, while employed by Smith Hinchman & Grylls. These buildings defined the Detroit skyline for almost fifty years.

Registered Site L2148
Erected 2005

Location: 208 Coman St.
Clinton, Lenawee County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.0746382 W83.9763164
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.