First Presbyterian Church


First Presbyterian Church photo of First Presbyterian Church
The Reverend Charles G. Clarke of Washtenaw County led eleven people in organizing the First Presbyterian Church in Unadilla on February 4, 1837. It was the township's first religious society. The congregation met in a schoolhouse until a brick church was erected in 1846. In June 1914 a tornado ravaged Unadilla. The Livingston Republican reported: "The Presbyterian church, a substantial brick building, was literally blown to small bits." A round window frame from the belfry was pulled intact from the rubble and installed in the front gable of the present church built later that year. From 1880 to 1929 the Presbyterian and Methodists held a Union Sabbath School. In 1923 an annex was built to provide classroom space.
 


Marker prepped for unveiling

Registered Site L2146
Erected 2004

Location: 20175 Williamsville Road
Unadilla Township, Livingston County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4292773 W84.0601301
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.