Methodist Episcopal Church


Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodism in Marlette dates back to 1851 when the first religious sermon in the county was delivered for the Methodist Society. In 1858 the Methodist Episcopalians organized a church. There first minister, the Reverend D.W. Hammond, came to Marlette in 1873. He started the Marlette Index newspaper five years later. The original 1871 church burned in 1901. Detroit architect Joseph Mills, who designed the Marlette High School and the Sanilac County Courthouse, planned this Neo-Gothic-style church, which was built on land purchased by the Ladies Aid Society. Dedicated on December 14, 1902, this church also burned - in 1937 and in 1979. With the exterior preserved, however, the church remains a landmark in Marlette.
 

Registered Site L2121
Erected 2002

Location: 3155 Main St.
Marlette, Sanilac County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.32520 W83.07962
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.