Johnson Cemetery


Johnson Cemetery photo of Johnson Cemetery
John Johnson Sr. donated property for this cemetery in 1838. His son Samuel had been buried on the land in 1835. John Johnson Jr. was among the township's first white settlers. The Johnsons and many pioneers are buried here. All but 20 of the 211 graves, most marked with slabs or tablets, date from the nineteenth century. Nearly one-third are children younger than ten years old, reflecting the hardship endured by early pioneers.
 

Registered Site L2112
Erected 2003

Location: US-31, north of M-140
Niles Twp, Berrien County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.8591417 W86.2697982
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.