Paint Creek Millrace

Paint Creek Millrace photo of Paint Creek Millrace
Paint Creek begins in a Brandon Township wetland and flows southeast to Rochester where it empties into the Clinton River. Today a thriving trout stream, the creek was important for waterpower in the nineteenth century. Needham Hemingway dammed the creek dug a one-half-mile-long millrace and built a gristmill in 1835. Edward Demerall owned a sawmill just west of here from 1840 to 1872, when the Detroit and Bay City Railroad laid track that disrupted production. By 1876, William Goodison had bought Hemingway's mill, enlarged it and installed modern machinery. The mill operated until 1941. The abandoned railroad bed became the Paint Creek Trail in 1981.

Registered Site L2105
Erected 2002

Location: Orion Road
Goodison, Oakland County

Lumber Industry

Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
N42.7329311 W83.1630170
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.