Alpena City Hall


Alpena City Hall photo of Alpena City Hall
Located on Government Square, City Hall remains one of Alpena's most prominent structures. In 1904 when the city council chose to construct the building of Bedford (Indiana) limestone rather than local limestone or concrete from Alpena's blossoming cement industry, many people objected. Bay City architects Clark and Munger designed City Hall in the Georgian Revival style. Since its completion in 1908, City Hall has been the center of civic activity in Alpena. A cupola crowned the structure until the 1950s. City Hall represents the work of several Alpena craftsmen. Local contractor Richard Collins supervised construction and the Northern Planing Mill and A.B. Crow did the carpentry and marble work respectively.
 

Registered Site L2103
Erected 2002

Location: 208 N. First Street
Alpena, Alpena County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.061986 W83.431007
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.