St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church


St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church photo of St. Peter
Erin Township's German immigrants first worshipped together in a log church amid an oak forest in 1846. The following year the Reverend John Friedrich Winkler helped organize St. Peter's church as a "country church" near Detroit. This is the third building occupied by the congregation. Dedicated in 1950, the church and school were designed by Merritt and Cole and are fine mid-twentieth century interpretations of the Neo-Gothic style. The church bells were brought from the congregation's second church, which stood two blocks south of here from 1859 to 1950. The adjacent cemetery was dedicated in 1888.
 

Registered Site L2093
Erected 2001

Location: 23000 Gratiot Ave north of Nine Mile Rd
Eastpointe, Macomb County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4669824 W82.9559290
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.