First Presbyterian Church


First Presbyterian Church photo of First Presbyterian Church
In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney twice ran unsuccessfully for president of the U.S. on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized the First Presbyterian Church of Lower Saginaw on September 5, 1856. Services continued to be held in the schoolhouse and other public buildings until the first church was built in 1863. In 1886 church elder Alexander Folsom donated $50,000 for the founding of a college in "northern" Michigan. His donation funded the organization of Alma College. In 1906 the college established the J. Ambrose Wight Memorial scholarship fund in honor of First Presbyterian's minister.
 
 
Side 2
In 1884 the Reverend J. Ambrose Wight challenged the members of the First Presbyterian Church to "go forward and build a church that will be a lasting gift to the future." The Reverend Wight (1811 - 1889) feared that Bay City's prosperity, gained through the lumber and salt industries, would not last. When the church was dedicated on June 4, 1893, the Bay City Times-Press declared it a "Magnificent Temple." Like the City Hall, which was build four years later, the Ionia sandstone church was designed in the Richardsonian style by local architects Pratt and Koeppe, and reflects Bay City's wealth at that time. The bell, cast in 1866, served as a public timepiece and tolled three times daily.

Registered Site L2084
Erected 2000

Location: 805 Center Ave
Bay City, Bay County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.5977239 W83.8821494
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.