Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant


Isabella County Seat photo of Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant
The state legislature organized Isabella County on February 11, 1859. A commission appointed by the governor established the county seat as Isabella Centre. To encourage settlement on land he owned in Isabella County, lumberman David Ward deeded five acres in present-day Mount Pleasant to the county on the condition that the county courthouse be erected on that land. In 1860 voters approved the transfer of the county seat to Mount Pleasant, and a simple frame building was constructed on the site as the first courthouse. The count built a stately brick courthouse on this site in 1877. That building was demolished in 1972.
 
 
a photo of Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant The Founding of Mount Pleasant
During the 1850s lumberman David Ward purchased land in section fifteen of Union Township. In 1860 he platted the village of Mount Pleasant with land set aside for a courthouse square. Harvey and George Morton, developers from New York State purchased Ward's property in 1863. Isaac A. Francher surveyed and recorded the plat of Mount Pleasant for the Morton's in 1864. The village was roughly bounded by Lincoln Street, Wisconsin Street, Lansing Street, Oak Street and the Chippewa River. Water-powered milling, lumber processing, and county government formed the basis of Mount Pleasant's growth after the Civil War. On April 16, 1875, the state legislature incorporated the village of Mount Pleasant.

Registered Site L2080
Erected 2000

Location: 200 N. Main Street
Mt. Pleasant, Isabella County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Markers with Pictures


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.60564 W84.77602
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.