First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
Soon after white settlers came to the area in 1856, J.K. Miller held religious gatherings at the home of Daniel and Sarah Carter. These meetings evolved in the First Congregational Church which was organized on March 2, 1862, with the Reverend Charles G. Brisbee as pastor. Deacon Samuel Hitchcock, Alpena developer and a charter member of the church, promoted the acceptance of people of all faiths. The first church was built on this site in 1868. Jesse and Anna Besser donated funds for the present concrete masonry church built in 1955. In 1961 the congregation joined the United Church of Christ.
 

Photo courtesy of Ralph Huss.

Registered Site L2066
Erected 1999

Location: 201 South Second Avenue
Alpena, Alpena County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.061623 W83.434396
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.