St. John the Baptist Catholic Church


St. John the Baptist Catholic Church photo of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
The Reverend Camillus P. Maes organized St. John in 1872 to serve the area's Irish population, which had struggled to form an English-speaking parish over a forty year period. In January 1892 fire destroyed the interior of the first church, erected on this site in 1874. The exterior walls survived the fire and were used to rebuild the church, which was rededicated in October 1892. Detroit architects Donaldson and Meier led the reconstruction effort. The resulting church replicated the original one, but without a steeple. After nearly a century, St. John returned to its original appearance when the steeple was reconstructed in 1991 as part of a year-long, $1 million restoration project.
 

Registered Site L2052
Erected 1999

Location: 511 South Monroe Street
Monroe, Monroe County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.912173 W83.401219
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.