Eagle Harbor House


Eagle Harbor House photo of Eagle Harbor House
Built by the Eagle Harbor Mining Company in 1845, Eagle Harbor House opened to boarders and travelers in 1846, the beginning of the Keweenaw copper rush. It is the las remaining log building of the first four in Eagle Harbor. In 1852 German immigrant Charles Kunz purchased the inn, adding a blacksmith shop and warehouses. Kunz became Keweenaw County's first sheriff in 1861. He owned the boardinghouse until his death in 1902. It was inherited by his nephew Thomas E. Parks.
 
 
Side 2
Although the economy was based primarily on copper mining, the Keweenaw Peninsula lured visitors with its natural beauty. Beginning in 1846, Eagle Harbor House provided safe lodging to businessmen, prospectors and travelers. Thomas E. Parks, Keweenaw County sheriff from 1931 to 1936, owned the property from 1902 to 1944. J.C. Westlake purchased the business in 1946, and his son Fred operated it until 19173. Rehabilitation begun in 1995 restored many interior features.

Registered Site L2046
Erected 2000

Location: 221 N. Front
Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N47.456565 W88.160919
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.