Muskegon Woman's Club


Muskegon Woman's Club photo of Muskegon Woman
The Muskegon Woman's Club was founded in 1890, and dedicated to the intellectual "improvement and development" of women. The Chicago firm of Weir and Perry designed this neo classical structure, built in 1902 with funds donated by Minnie Smith, the widow of Muskegon attorney Francis Smith. The club lobbied the city to hire the first police woman, held performances and worked with charitable groups such as the Red Cross and the Council of National Defense.
 

Registered Site L2043
Erected 2000

Location: 280 West Webster Avenue
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2345418 W86.2505346
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.