Hoyt Library


Hoyt Library photo of Hoyt Library
The Saginaw Evening News declared the Hoyt Library "a noble institution" and "the pride of all Saginawians" when it opened in 1890. The library was a gift to the people of Saginaw from New York businessman Jesse Hoyt (1815-1882), who had real estate and lumber interests in the Saginaw Valley. Hoyt's will set aside $100,000 for a public library here. After a national competition among leading architects, the Hoyt Trust chose the Boston architectural firm of Van Brunt and Howe. When the Richardsonain Romanesque style building was completed it exemplified modern library construction. The present building includes a 1921 addition by Edward Tilton of New York and a 1960 addition by Frederick E. Wigen Architects of Saginaw.
 

Registered Site L2040
Erected 2000

Location: 505 Janes Street
Saginaw, Saginaw County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.4303163 W83.9360940
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.