Redford Township District No. 5 School


Redford Township District No. 5 School photo of Redford Township District No. 5 School
Three Redford Township District No. 5 Schools have stood on this property. A log structure served students from around 1842 until the 1870s when a wood-frame school was constructed. The present structure, built sometime between 1916 and 1921, was erected according to the stock plans provided free by the state superintendent of public instruction, who noted: "The modern rural building is planned to observe both hygienic needs and the conveniences of schoolroom administration." Renamed Redford Union District No. 1 in 1923, and known popularly as the Beech Road School, this is a rare surviving example of a school that exhibits every detail of the state superintendent's design, including the belfry and simple decorative brickwork.
 

Registered Site L1991
Erected 1994

Location: 18499 Beech Daly
Redford, Wayne County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.423901 W83.296842
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.