Hanover High School / Hanover - Horton Schools


Hanover High School photo of Hanover High School / Hanover - Horton Schools
Located on one of Hanover's most prominent sites, this former school was erected in 1911. Built in the Georgian Revival style, this town landmark exemplifies a school design popular during the early twentieth century. Citizens named the school's site "College Hill" and called the teachers "professor" to show respect. In 1934 depression era Emergency Relief Act funds paid for construction of the gymnasium addition. Grades one through twelve met here until 1946, and middle schools classes were held in the building until it closed in 1962. The school was threatened with demolition until 1977 when the Hanover - Horton Area Historical Society acquired it for use as a museum.
 
 
Hanover - Horton Schools
Early Hanover school children met in a log building constructed at the corner of State and Spink Streets in 1839. A series of buildings served the growing town, including this building, erected in 1911. In 1873 the nearby Horton district built a three - room school in which classes were held until that building burned in 1940. Hanover, Horton and nine one room school districts consolidated as the Hanover - Horton Rural Agricultural School District in 1945. Two elementary schools served the district; one in Horton, built in 1949, and one in Hanover, erected in 1954. A new high school opened in 1958. Additions to Hanover Elementary School in 1998 created a single elementary school for the district.

Registered Site L1979
Erected 1999

Location: 105 Fairview St.
Hanover, Jackson County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.102774 W84.547584
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.