Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery


Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery photo of Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery
Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery was established in 1875 and consecrated by Bishop Caspar Henry Borgess that year. The land for the cemetery was purchased from Royal Oak Township. One of the earliest burials was for Edmund Loughnane (Lockman), who had hosted Catholic meetings in his home. Unusual statuary includes a concrete tree truck, and a seated maiden holding flowers. The statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located atop Saint Mary High School beginning in 1925, was moved here in 1992. This cemetery contains the remains of a number of local businessmen, among them undertaker William Sullivan, and John and Frank Fraquelli, founders of Royal Oak Monumental Works, whose markers are located here and in the Royal Oak Township cemetery.
 

Opposite side of the marker is Royal Oak Township Cemetery

Registered Site L1968
Erected 1998

Location: Main Street South of 12 Mile
Royal Oak, Oakland County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.501140 W83.144249
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.