First Methodist Episcopal Church


First Methodist Episcopal Church photo of First Methodist Episcopal Church
When the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened in June 1892, the Ypsilantian called it "an ornament to the city." The church typifies Akron Plan churches, popular among late nineteenth century Protestants. The Akron architectural firm of Weary and Kramer designed the seating in arcs to give each person a full view of the minister. Washtenaw County Methodism dates from 1825 when itinerant minister Reverend Elias Pattee organized a class in the nearby settlement of Wooodruff's Grove. Pattee served the Huron circuit, which extended from Detroit west to present-day Jackson. This church building is the third to serve the congregation.
 

Registered Site L1961
Erected 2000

Location: 209 Washtenaw Avenue
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.243449 W83.614723
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.