Saline Presbyterian Church


Saline Presbyterian Church photo of Saline Presbyterian Church
In 1831, Presbyterian families from Newark, New York, traveled by boat through the Erie Canal to Detroit. Settling in the Saline area, they held their first religious service on July, 18, 1831. Thereafter, services were held in schoolhouses, homes and other buildings until 1842 when they erected a frame structure on this site. In 1898 that building was replaced with the present church.
 
 
Side 2
Built in 1898 with heavy cut stone foundations and rounded arches, the Saline Presbyterian Church reflects the influence of Romanesque Revival architecture. Detroit architects Frederick H. Spier and William Rohns designed the church, which was built by local contractor Conrad Schaffer and Son. The total cost for the building and furnishings was $5,981. The congregation restored the sanctuary interior in 1998.

Registered Site L1940
Erected 1998

Location: 143 East Michigan Ave.
Saline, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.16706 W83.780486
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.