Newburg Methodist Church


Newburg Methodist Church photo of Newburg Methodist Church
By 1834 there were two religious societies in Newburg, one Methodist and one Congregational. The Methodist society was part of the Plymouth Circuit and served by itinerant ministers. The Reverend Marcus Swift was the first pastor. A strident anti-slavery advocate, Swift openly criticized the Methodist conference for its silence on the issue. In 1841 he seceded. Methodists constructed their first church in 1846. Two years later the Congregationalists built a church. Each society hosted worship services on alternate Sundays. In 1888 the two organizations merged under the Methodist name and worshipped in the former Congregational Church. The society grew rapidly during World War II, 1941-45. The present parsonage, sanctuary and educational wing were erected in 1962.
 

Photo courtesy of Scott Shields

Registered Site L1922
Erected 1995

Location: 36500 Ann Arbor Trail
Livonia, Wayne County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3596795 W83.4027019
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.