Okemos Methodist Church


Okemos Methodist Church photo of Okemos Methodist Church
About 1839 Joseph H. Kilbourne settled in this vicinity on land previously occupied by Chief Okemos and several hundred Indians. He became the postmaster of Sanford (present-day Okemos) in 1840 and served in the Michigan legislature from 1847 to 1851. Kilbourne and other settlers were influenced by itinerant Methodist preachers George W. Breckenridge and Washington Jackson. Church services were held in settler's homes from 1840 until 1846 when the first school opened. In 1870 a modest church was built on Kilbourne farmland. In 1929 the Okemos Methodist Episcopal and Baptist churches federated to form the Okemos Community Church. In 1957 a new sanctuary was built. The old church was razed in 1967 to make room for a new education unit.
 

Registered Site L1895
Erected 1993

Location: 4734 Okemos Rd.
Okemos, Ingham County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.718633 W84.427993
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.