Saint Paul Catholic Church and Rectory


Saint Paul Catholic Church photo of Saint Paul Catholic Church and Rectory
By the 1790s, French priests were ministering to farmers living along Lake St. Clair. In 1825 Father Francis Badin dedicated a log church to St. Paul near the Lake in present-day Grosse Pointe Shores. In 1850 a frame chapel was erected on the current site. Built in the 1890s, during Father John Eisen's pastorate, the present French Gothic-inspired church was designed by Detroit architect Harry J. Rill. The first mass held in the church was Father Eisen's funeral in 1899.
 
 
Saint Paul Rectory and Parish House
Saint Paul Rectory, which reflects Neo-Tudor and Arts and Crafts design elements was built in 1911. The Parish House was built around 1900 as the home of former (1876 - 77) Detroit Mayor Alexander Lewis. Stove manufacturer Edwin S. Barbour acquired the house in 1913. In 1925, according to plans by Detroit architect Robert O. Derrick, he renovated the house divesting it of its Neo-classical elements Barbour's heir sold the estate to Saint Paul Parish in 1959.

Registered Site L1878a
Erected 1993

Location: 157 Lake Shore Rd.
Grosse Pte Farms, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3942117 W82.8911107
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.