Saint Mary's Church


Saint Mary's Church photo of Saint Mary
In 1870, Father Joseph Kraemer became pastor of a Catholic mission at Corunna that included all of Shiawassee County. In 1874 he assisted Antrim Township Irish Catholics in purchasing the Alling Schoolhouse, which he dedicated as a church. Father Kraemer traveled first from St. Johns and later from Owosso for Mass. In 1892 a church was built in Morrice. When the mission became a parish in 1926, it also had many German and Czechoslovakian members. The church burned in 1953 and was razed in 1962. The present church was dedicated in 1953.
 

Registered Site L1873
Erected 1992

Location: 505 Main St.
Morrice, Shiawassee County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.840646 W84.178036
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.