Union City Methodist Episcopal Church


Union City Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Union City Methodist Episcopal Church
During 1836-37, cabinet-maker David Hull led the organization of the township's first religious society. Circuit-riding ministers held services for Union City's fledgling Methodist congregation on alternate Sundays. The group met in several places until a "New and Commodius" church was built in 1848, one-half block west of here. In 1880 the Coldwater Republican announced that the Methodists would "build a new brick church next season." The present church was dedicated in 1881.
 
 
Side 2
This High Victorian Gothic, auditorium-plan church was constructed in 1880 - 81. Because this church so closely resembles the Constantine Methodist Episcopal Church, designed by the Grand Rapids architectural firm of Robinson and Barnaby, it is believed to have been the work of the same firm. John R. Simmons, a Scottish woodworker from nearby Girard, reportedly built the church. The church was dedicated on August 28, 1881.

Registered Site L1835
Erected 1993

Location: 200 Ellen St.
Union City, Branch County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.066881 W85.136795
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.