Battle Creek No. 4 Fire Station


Battle Creek No. 4 Fire Station photo of Battle Creek No. 4 Fire Station
This firehouse, which opened on July 2, 1904, was the last one in the city to use horse-drawn equipment. Hubert C. Scofield, architect of Fire Station No. 3, designed the Richardsonian Romanesque building, built at a cost of $8,099. In 1917 the station was motorized. The horses and combination hose and chemical wagon were sent to service Fort Custer, beginning the era of a totally motorized Battle Creek Fire Department. After nearly eighty years of service, the station was closed on January 1, 1983.
 

Photo courtesy of Warren Lun

Registered Site L1823
Erected 1995

Location: 175 South Kendall
Battle Creek, Calhoun County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3207635 W85.1983737
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.