Poe's Corners


Poe's Corners photo of Poe
In 1835, George Poe (1779-1851) emigrated from Crawford County, Ohio, and settled on land deeded to him by the U.S. government. Within two years he acquired 520 acres of land in Newberg Township. Many members of the Poe family settled in this vicinity, and it became known as the Poe Neighborhood and Poe's Corners. In 1838 the first recorded burial, that of Rachel Everhart, occurred in Poe's Cemetery, located on one corner of George Poe's farm. The First Regular Baptist of Newberg, also known as Poe's Church, was organized in 1841; a church was erected in 1858. School District No. 2, known as Poe's School, was created in 1856. In 1957 the school district merged with the Marcellus School District; the school building became the Newberg Township Hall in 1958.
 

Registered Site L1817
Erected 1991

Location: Patterson Hill Road and Born Street
Newberg Township, Cass County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.9257495 W85.8186721
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.