Big Rock


Big Rock photo of Big Rock
Natural features have often played a role in the naming of communities. One such settlement was Big Rock. Named after a massive boulder, this hamlet was located at the crossroads of present-day M-32 and Thornton Road. Seth Gillet became the first postmaster in 1882. By 1902 a general store owned by Briley Township pioneer William Remington housed the post office. At that time a church and school, a grange hall, a sawmill and a blacksmith shop were also located in Big Rock. The post office closed in 1920.
 

Registered Site L1808
Erected 1991

Location: M-32 at Thornton Rd
Briley Township, Montmorency County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.0069206 W84.2340981
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.