Douglas Union School


Douglas Union School photo of Douglas Union School
In 1866, faced with the growth of what were then separate villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, Saugatauk Township District No. 3 and 4 merged to form Union District No. 3. The Douglas Union School opened for classes in September 1866. One male and one female teacher taught 129 pupils that year. Early newspapers reported church services, concerts and social events taking place in the building's second floor hall. When it closed in 1957, the school had four classrooms. They were converted to apartments during the 1960s. The bell, made by the Buckeye Bell Foundry of Cincinnati was removed and relocated to the new elementary school.
 
 
Side 2
Opened in 1866, The Douglas Union School is one of the oldest surviving multi-classsroom school buildings. With its bracketed eaves and belfry, the school reflects Italian Villa architecture. Two years after the school opened the state superintendent of education reoprted that "Douglas has a new building, and a good one of a small place." Incorporated in 1870, by 1873 the village had four general stores, a hotel, several flour and lumber mills, and between 700 and 800 inhabitants. The school served the village and the surrounding area until 1957. Douglas Union School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Registered Site L1801
Erected 1998

Location: 130 West Center Street
Douglas, Allegan County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.643652 W86.203719
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.