Belrockton Dormitory


Belrockton Dormitory photo of Belrockton Dormitory
Built in 1906, Belrockton is the last remaining boardinghouse of the three provided by the Belding Brothers and Company for its single female workers. A major silk manufacturer in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the company employed hundreds of young women and earned Belding the title of "Silk City of the World." Providing accom[m]odations for one hundred residents and staff, the Belrockton Dormitory, a Classical-Revival-inspired building, was erected at a cost of thirty thousand dollars. Following the closing of the company's silk mills in 1935, the "Bel" served as a residential training center for the National Youth Administration. In 1943 the building became a recreation center. The city of Belding purchased the structure in 1950 to serve as a community center. In 1987 it became the home of the Belding Museum.
 

Registered Site L1747
Erected 1993

Location: 108 Hanover St.
Belding, Ionia County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.097632 W85.226222
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.