Methodist Episcopal Church


Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1868 the Reverend Manasseh Hickey and twelve settlers organized a Methodist Episcopal Church in Caseville. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the present church was built. Upon its dedication on November 15, 1874, the Gothic-inspired structure, with its 70-foot-high steeple, became a focal point for the community. Local contractor William Ormiston built the church, which contains stained-glass windows by McFadden and Reed of New York City. In 1907 a basement was excavated, and in 1940 the memorial windows were installed Over the years the steeple, which provided a landmark for Saginaw Bay boaters, was racked by structural problems and lightning, and had to be continually repaired. In 1974 the spire was replaced with a duplicate of the original.
 

Registered Site L1725
Erected 1995

Location: 6490 Main St.
Caseville, Huron County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.944466 W83.273035
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.