George D. Sowers House


George D. Sowers House photo of George D. Sowers House
Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house in an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partners George Fox. Sowers later became a partner in the Ovid Flour Mills. In 1882 Frank Scofield and his wife, Adelaide, purchased the house. Scofield co-owned the Ovid Carraige Works, one of the village's largest employers during the late nineteenth century. His business declined with the rising popularity of the automobile. Henry and Sophia Hudson purchased the house in 1907, one year after Henry founded Hudson and Son Farm Implements, another prosperous Ovid business.
 

Registered Site L1718
Erected 1999

Location: 131 East Williams St.
Ovid, Clinton County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.00663 W84.37050
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.