First Presbyterian Church of Albion


First Presbyterian Church of Albion photo of First Presbyterian Church of Albion
In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the corner of Clinton and Erie streets. In 1857 the congregation erected a new church on this site; it burned in 1873. The third church, completed in 1879, also burned, and the present one was built in 1884.
 
 
Side 2
The First Presbyterian Church, built on this site in 1858, burned in February 1873. Detroit architect Elijah E. Myers was immediately commissioned to plan a new church, which was completed in 1879. (Myers also designed Michigan's present state capitol.) In 1883 fire ravaged the church. The Romanesque shell and two stained-glass windows were saved and incorporated into the present church, which was dedicated on August 10, 1884.


Other Buildings designed by Elijah E. Myers

Registered Site L1695
Erected 1992

Location: 305 E. Porter
Albion, Calhoun County

Topics
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.243759 W84.749258
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.