St. Paul's Episcopal Church


St. Paul's Episcopal Church photo of St. Paul
In 1848, soon after the Michigan legislature relocated the state capital to Lansing Township, an Episcopal society met in the new capitol, located at Washington Avenue and Allegan Street. The society which became a parish in 1856, erected its first church at the corner of North Washington Avenue and Ionia Street in 1859. A second, much larger church opened at the present location on October 20, 1873, three weeks after the cornerstone of the present capitol had been laid.
 
 
Side 2
This Neo-Gothic-inspired church was erected in 1914. Although plans for a church had been supplied by local architect Samuel D. Butterworth, revised plans of the Reverend Henry J. Simpson, rector, were used when the A.R.Cole Company built the church. The church complex includes a 1942 chapel, a 1952 parish house and a 1967 education annex. The building is distinguished by its stained glass windows installed in the 1940s-1960s, and woodcarvings, crafted by German artisan Alois Lang.

Registered Site L1689
Erected 1992

Location: 218 W. Ottawa St.
Lansing, Ingham County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.7347751 W84.5539891
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.