Central United Methodist Church


Central United Methodist Church photo of Central United Methodist Church
The first Protestant society in Muskegon began as a mission station served by itinerant preachers. In 1843 the Reverend M. Warring held Muskegon's first service in Martha Ryerson's boardinghouse. Deacon Abner Bennett, a black lay preacher, and his wife, Mary, a former servant of President James K. Polk, formed the White Lake Sunday School. Bennett frequently preached in Muskegon. This church was formally organized on November 20, 1856.
 
 
Side 2
In 1859, Muskegon Methodists built their first church at Clay and Jefferson streets. Congregationalists met in the church, which also served as the county court. In 1887 a larger church was built on the same site. The present Neo-Gothic-style church, built in 1928-1930, was designed by denominational architect, Thoralf M. Sundt of Philadelphia. This Indiana limestone church seats 1,000 persons. The tower rises 100 feet.

Registered Site L1659
Erected 1990

Location: 1011 Second Street
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2342213 W86.2501055
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.