First Baptist Church


First Baptist Church photo of First Baptist Church
On April 12, 1839, eight people met in the Leslie schoolhouse and organized the First Baptist Church. Elijah K. Grout, a charter member, became the church's first pastor in November 1841. Between 1856 and 1858 this church, the first built in Leslie, was constructed. In 1887-1888 the building was raised, and a basement was built. The exterior was then clad with brick giving the building its present Gothic Revival appearance. In 1966 a wooden cross replace the church's spire.
 

Registered Site L1656
Erected 1991

Location: 204 East Bellevue
Leslie, Ingham County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.451053 W84.433439
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.