Manistee Fire Hall


Manistee Fire Hall photo of Manistee Fire Hall
In early October 1888, the Manistee City Council hired Frederick Hollister of Saginaw, the architect of Manistee's principle school, to design a fire hall to replace the original station, which was constructed in 1872 - 1873 on Filer Street. Later that month the Manistee Democrat predicted that the city's new fire hall would be "a model of convenience and usefulness." Constructed of brick, cut-stone and French plate glass and trimmed with galvanized iron, this Romanesque Revival-style building was constructed by the local firm of Brownrigg and Reynolds at a cost of $7,516. The dome is covered with copper. The hall opened in June 1889 when Manistee's first "fire truck," a horse-drawn steam engine, was brought from the original hall.
 

Registered Site L1647
Erected 1990

Location: 281 First Street
Manistee, Manistee County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.245687 W86.316345
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.