Holy Family Church


Holy Family Church photo of Holy Family Church
In the early twentieth century, immigrants from southern Italy and Sicily settled in Detroit's northeast side. They first worshipped in a chapel at Saints Peter and Paul Church. In 1907, Father Giovanni Boschi arrived in Detroit and began a campaign to build a church for the Italian community. In 1908, Bishop John S. Foley canonized the church and named it Holy Family. Completed in 1910, the Italian Renaissance basilica was designed by Edward A. Shilling of Detroit.
 

Registered Site L1627
Erected 1990

Location: 641 Walter Chrysler Drive
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.334527 W83.037819
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.