Greater Shiloh Baptist Church


Greater Shiloh Baptist Church photo of Greater Shiloh Baptist Church
Founded in 1881 by the Reverend John Wills, this is Detroit's second oldest African-American Baptist congregation. Carlos N. Stokes, an African-American draftsman, designed the church in 1920. Although his plans were modified two years later by the Detroit architectural firm W.W. Ahlschlager, Inc. the basic composition and form designed by Stokes were implemented. During the summer of 1926 the Reverend Robert B. James led a march from the Eastern Market to the new church in celebration of the first service in the new sanctuary. In 1935, when the church was slated for demolition to make way for the Brewster project, the Reverend Solomon Ross (1886 - 1968) fought successfully to save it. During the Depression, Shiloh fed the hungry and sponsored adult education classes.
 

Registered Site L1617
Erected 1994

Location: 557 Benton
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.348697 W83.049462
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.