First Baptist Church of Royal Oak


First Baptist Church of Royal Oak photo of First Baptist Church of Royal Oak
Several members of this church were significant to its early development. In 1839 charter member Hamlet Harris, "a free colored person" according to the 1840 census, donated $25.00 towards the construction of the first church. In 1876, Athalinda Phelps donated the land, and Reverend Silas Finn provided the labor and half of the money required to build the second church. When membership was low at the turn of the century, Anna B. Quick held meetings to maintain the church charter. This marker was erected in 1989, the church's 150th year.
 

Registered Site L1610
Erected 1989

Location: 309 North Main Street
Royal Oak, Oakland County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.491699 W83.144381
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.