Howell School District No. 5 Schoolhouse


Howell School District No. 5 Schoolhouse photo of Howell School District No. 5 Schoolhouse
Erected in 1880, this building typifies late nineteenth-century rural schools. The school, commonly known as Fleming School, stands on its original fieldstone foundation on land sold to the school district by Eliphalet and Laura Lewis. Contractors Tabor and Kingsley built the school for $925 to replace a log one erected in 1850. Fleming School, the largest of eight rural schools in the township, closed in 1957. In 1993 it was restored for use by the community.
 

Registered Site L1599
Erected 1994

Location: 4970 W Grand River
Howell, Livingston County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.648196 W84.021139
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.