St. Hyacinth Catholic Church


St. Hyacinth Catholic Church photo of St. Hyacinth Catholic Church
The first Polish immigrants came to Detroit during the 1840s. In 1872, 70 Polish families lived in the city. By 1907 when St. Hyacinth Church was founded, Detroit Poles numbered over 60,000 and the majority lived in this vicinity, known as Poletown. The first mass was held in a frame house on Theodore Street. A combined school and church was built at the corner of Frederick and McDougall Streets in 1908. There, Felician nuns taught school in both English and Polish. On May 25th, 1924, parishioners dedicated this Romanesque and Byzantine style church, designed by Detroit architects Donaldson and Meier. St. Hyacinth's pastor, Bishop Stefan Wozmicki, founded the Liga Katolicka, a national agency to support the Catholic Church in Poland, in 1945.
 

Registered Site L1592
Erected 2008

Location: 3151 Farnsworth Ave
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.369265620 W83.03673326
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.